Saturday 28 October 2017

COURIER ON THE WINGS OF TECHNOLOGY

I traveled down to my forefather’s world last night and guess what I saw. May be you are not good at guessing but I saw men, women and children overusing their energy to carry goods from the point of production to the retailers and to the consumers. I also saw animals moving from one place to the other, overburdened by goods. But I witnessed neither accident nor armed robbery attack, as the donkeys and horses did not collide. There were no breach of contract in the delivery of their products and goods. However, I screamed and asked them to follow me to my world because the whole scenario seemed so clumsy but they declined, saying that they have left my world for good. They also told me that my world and its new ways are the product of their energy and sacrifice.

The relevance of courier services cannot be overlooked. They save us the time of having to travel distances every time we have something to send to other people. This delivery service initiative was threatened when internet technology was introduced. There was gradual drop on the volume of documents being sent, and the future of this business seemed to be at risk then. But alas! As time passed, this business experienced a new spring from the same internet technology. So many manufacturers expanded their businesses through internet digital advertisement and marketing. This therefore, became a consolation to courier services, as they have now become the vehicle through which producers, manufacturers and wholesalers distribute their goods to the retailers and consumers; not forgetting personal parcels they deliver for their customers on daily basis.

Recently, I attended an event organized by Peace Express Services Ltd., a subsidiary of Peace Group, to witness the award presentation to the drivers that delivered the highest number of goods and parcels, and without disappointing their customers. As the event was ongoing, I started imagining things. How clumsy life might be without exchange of goods and services. How boring and tiresome life might be without the means of sending and receiving parcels. In any case, I thought appreciating those drivers is a very good idea, as it will encourage others to handle with care the parcels and goods given to them to deliver. I cannot forget the excitement of those drivers and the clear message of ‘I will do even better’ written on their faces, as they receive their awards for the job well done. At the end, I was not surprised at all why Peace Express services Ltd. is waxing so strong; after all, it has PMT as godfather with branches all over Nigeria.

However, life is not rosy all the time. I have noticed one thing under the sun which is that, there is no hitch free enterprise. To sustain life therefore, we must take risk. Courier business like others is not risk free. It is sometimes affected by accident, armed robbery attacks, theft, etc. Despite all these, courier business has thrived over the years. This is because the majority, if not all of us will not want to go back to live in our forefather’s world again.


Written by Olive Chinyere Amajuoyi

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Open Letter to theTribunal Judges

  Dear Tribunal Judges, The ongoing election tribunal is very important in the history of Nigeria. It will define how good or how corrup...